Thursday 5 September 2013

Visit to the V&A


I went to the V&A on a college trip, and it was in fact a lovely day. I found some very interesting pieces of art - Like this one.

This Turkish tiling caught my eye instantly, due to it's stunning colours and mesmerising repeat pattern. I learned that this repeat tiling would have been created around 1580. Also, that tiles with this design are associated with the shrine of Ey'up, which stands just outside the walls of Istanbul.

The pattern is not self contained, but can be repeated endlessly, like a textile design. Each group of four tiles, has the complete pattern, which is symmetrical on the vertical axis.









In the fashion department of the V&A, this outfit attracted me more than anything else for a number of reasons. My love for black and white; the sixties, and the female suit. Reminding me of Margaret Thatcher for it's shape, I was eager to find out more.

I just love the contrast between the the black and white, against the solid squares. Something simple but bold like this, is something that I would love to take influence from in my next collection of designs.

Even more interesting, is Mary Quants choice to turn the axis of the squares for the skirt - Creating diamonds.

This suit was designed in Paris in the late 60s.










I don't remember many details about this unique piece, however I wanted to upload it anyway.

I think that this unique piece of artwork is very inquisitive indeed. I feel that it has an interesting story kept within, that is to not be revealed.

This is what I love most about art, the question that it holds - What it means. My aim with my next collection, is to try and achieve this with an outfit.





No comments:

Post a Comment